I had an Epiphany!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, last night I had a dream that I opened a hair salon. It was called Beauty Benevolence Ministries. In my dream it was a place that women came to turn their lives around. Get help getting a job, learning work skills, and finally work appearance. But upon later thought I have revised my dream into something that would really be and amazing ministry.
Here's my thinking... Self-esteem is a major factor in the success or failure of a person: especially women. A woman will: choose husband that is not right for her because she feels that is all she deserves; let a person tell her she is less of a person because of looks, take jobs that aren't challenging because of appearance, loose peer-relationships because of lack of self-assurance. One of the first things to bring a woman down can be her looks. A woman that is confident in her appearance, builds self-esteem. She is more willing to try new things and approach new people. Every woman should know that she is more than just her outter appearance, but for many women, becoming ok with their outside allows them to focus on their inside.
Second: Beauty is expensive! Each time I get my hair cut and colored, I can expect to leave the salon $80-$100 lighter. Not to mention getting the occasional pedicure or eyebrow wax. Women can often feel that they cannot acheive the appearance they desire due to finances! Of course... we have families to worry about!
Third: When I sit down in that salon, I know I'm going to get to gab for at least an hour. My hair lady might not have the solutions to my problem, but I feel I should tip her for being my shrink by the end!
So finally, here is my idea. I start a not-for-profit salon run through benevolence ministries of local churches. Local Christian Beauticians donate their time/service/products to local women in need. A section for free childrens' hair care.... A product pantry... and finally a confidence section for women. Teach women how to bring out the natural beauty God gave them. Give them managable hair cuts and colors. Teach them basic skin care and make-up. Bring a woman in that is down in the dumps. Someone who has lost their self-esteem... romantically, financially, socially. Give them a boost. Not only are you giving away beauty tips, but you also have someone in your chair that needs someone to listen. The salon would give away free haircare... yes; but more importantly, the salon would have staff that is prepared to listen, connect with people in need, and help direct customers toward local faith ministries. As the salon is funded by local churches, they can recommend people to the salon. Schools can send needy children for hair care and hygene education. Women looking to turn their life around can get a fresh start with a fresh appearance.
You women out there know how liberating it can be to go from feeling in the dumps about your look to feeling empowered by it. Shouldn't all women have the opportunity for a fresh start?
So, that was my epiphany today. I'm seriously going to look into what it would take to get it running. Maybe if I opened a beauty salon of my own in a year and did the non-profit once a week to start off. As the need grew, the ministry could move up and out to it's own place.
Suggestions? Know of a similar ministry? Help!
9 years ago
3 comments:
Love you, love the idea, that is why I love you! I can teach them how to sew and Laura can make their business cards...tell me where to sign up.
1. Of course I remember you, Lyndi! I'm so glad you came across my blog so I could encounter yours:)
2. I would totally help with your salon. I don't know what I would do...but I think it's a FABULOUS idea!! I can't wait to hear more.
Lyndi- WOW! This would be so cool! I love it. I'll be talking to Jesus for ya on this one. So cool, really
Post a Comment