So Sunday in Church we continued a series about living like you are dying. Last week we talked about living with no regrets and clearing the busyness out of our lives. This week we talked about how much our words affect the people around us. Each act of kindness and each word of encouragement counts! Jim, our minister, told a story about how he keeps a message on his answering machine from his grandchild because the words are so precious to him. It was very moving. It was especially moving in my row because I was sitting with my sister, her husband Kevin, and his parents. They just lost their grandson/nephew, Drew, two weeks ago. I never met Drew, and I barely know his parents. And yet, I have been so sad about their loss. I'm not sure why it has hit me so hard, but each time I think about it, I am filled with compassion and sorrow. I wanted to hug Denis and Marnie and never let go on Sunday. I think of Drew daily. I wonder what God's plan is for their family. I want Kari and Jordan to know that although I never met their son, and I barely know them, that they have changed me. I consider time more preciously. I appreciate my nephews and how close I am able to be more each day. I make an effort to talk to those who are close to me more often. You never know the day God has written for you to leave Earth to join Him. I have read Kari and Jordan's blog faithfully since Drew got sick this spring. I am amazed by their faithfulness. Kari and Jordan... I am changed by your love... for your son and for your God. I pray daily: for your, that you can grow closer to Him and together, that Peyton will see God through his little brother's life, that you will know that somehow this was written into your life plan before you were even conceived and somehow (although no one can see it now) this will further the Kingdom, and that others will come to know peace that passes understanding through your faithfulness in the storm.
I heard this song today and immediately was filled with empathy for The Staples family. Tears filled my eyes as it addressed all the questions I have had about My God who took a precious child so early from us. I have experienced doubts about the love of a God that can cause such sadness for His people. This song is great. It really helped me put things into perspective. Natalie Grant wrote it after a close friend died of cancer and a mother close to her lost her child. She says that the promise we are given from God isn't constant happiness, but to be held when tragedy strikes. Through her words I was reminded that his promise is: Not that he will prevent death, but provide a home after death with him; Not that he will keep hatred from the world, but that he will give love regardless of circumstance; Not that we will always understand his decisions, but that each situation is an opportunity to show faith; Not that each day will be easy, but that we will always have HOPE!
"Held"
Two months is too little
They let him go
They had no sudden healing
To think that providence
Would take a child from his mother
While she prays, is appalling
Who told us we’d be rescued
What has changed and
Why should we be saved from nightmares
Were asking why this happens to us
Who have died to live, it’s unfair
Chorus:
This is what it means to be held
How it feels, when the sacred is torn from your life
And you survive
This is what it is to be loved and to know
That the promise was when everything fell
We’d be held
This hand is bitterness
We want to taste it and
Let the hatred numb our sorrows
The wise hand opens slowly
To lilies of the valley and tomorrow
If hope is born of suffering
If this is only the beginning
Can we not wait, for one hour
Watching for our savior
Chorus
If you get a chance, download this song or look it up. I think there is a music video on YouTube that goes with it, but I haven't been able to view it because I'm at work.
9 years ago
3 comments:
Hey Lyn, I was wondering if you were still at SOCC? I've been wanting to come and bring Aaron. I tried for months to convince Adam for us all to go. Anyway, I hope that Aaron and I can start coming really soon. I also wanted to thank you. I know we have not always stayed in touch regularly, but every single time anything big has happened in my life you (and your family) have been there for me and shown such support. You have no idea how much you have always meant to me for that. I love you and your family so much for that! I will always appreciate it and wanted to let you know.
I love Natalie Grant.
So you inspired me to make a blog. Dinner date soon...love you so much...hope you know it!
Crystal and Shane
Post a Comment